AudioMeter for Android
A simple (and somewhat inaccurate) VU-style audio meter.
I noticed there was no audio meter in F-Droid, so I thought I'd build one from scratch. Currently this as a simple way to monitor relative sound levels (not "loudness").
The app offers a few ways to calculate the audio level to display:
- RMS: Root Mean Square. This is arguable the most correct, but it is a little insensitive at low volumes.
- LogRMS: Natural log of RMS: My first attempt to even out the scale. It's a little *too* sensitive to noisy mics.
- SqrtRMS: Squareroot of RMS: My second attempt to even out RMS: it seems to works best.
- Max: Simply find the loudest bit of each sample. Most responsive, but will peg the scale on noisey places.
- Avg: Simple average of the sound.
- Show numbers on the scale.
- Add dBFS (decibels relative to full-scale).
- Ability to hide the advanced controls.
- Make meter fit a variety of screen sizes.
- Allow a log of the readings.
- Fancier display.
AudioMeter is open source and can be found on Github, and is now available through F-Droid.